SCHOOL HISTORY

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

Our Lady of Victories School is a Pre-K 3 to 8 Catholic Elementary School in the Diocese of Metuchen located in Sayreville, New Jersey. The town has gone through many changes during its history. The town of Sayreville was officially established in July 1885. Five major companies opened businesses in the town. The companies were Sayre-Fischer Brick Manufacturer, DuPont, Hercules, Sunshine Biscuits, and National Lead. A large majority of the town's population were employed by these companies. The only company remaining is DuPont. Therefore, Sayreville became known as a "blue collar town". The population was mainly Catholic, and it was soon realized that a Catholic church was needed in the town.  

The parish of Our Lady of Victories was officially opened in 1886. At that time it was part of the Trenton Diocese. The parish also saw the necessity for a Catholic Elementary School. The school opened its doors in 1889 in the church basement and was staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Philadelphia. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in 1894 to assume the role of educators.

In 1930 a new modern eight room school was built on the church property. In the late 1950’s an additional six rooms were added to the original structure. A Parish Center was another building added to the campus. The main school housed the classrooms. Due to increased enrollment at this time, there was a need for two of every grade. The Parish Center houses the school cafeteria, library, and gymnasium. The Center was renamed to Msgr. Dalton Hall after one of the parish's beloved pastors. The Hall is used by the school, as well as Religious Ed, and other parish organizations.

During the 1980's, the first lay principal was appointed and lay teachers have assumed all the educational roles.  A Pre-School 3 year old program was added to the school offerings in the 1990's which has quickly become a recognized tradition at OLV School.  OLV School has a long standing reputation of providing its students with a solid academic and faith formation foundation for students in Pre K 3 – 8th grade which still stands true today. 

 

 


36 Main Street, Sayreville, NJ 08872 | Phone: 732-254-1676
© 2016 Our Lady Of Victories School